Most administrators prefer to administer their servers remotely through remote desktop (formerly known as terminal services). But what if you forget to enable remote desktop before shipping the server to a remote site, well, you still have the chance to do it remotely through remote registry.
First of all you should have access to the server with administrative privilege.
- -On your xp machine, start->Run->regedit
- - On the File menu, click Connect Network Registry.
- - type the computer name and then click Check Names
- -provide your administrative credential in the next dialog and click ok
- -now in the computer node that appear in the registry editor, drill down to the following key:
- -click Terminal Server, then in the detail pane double-click fDenyTSConnections
- - in Value data, type 0, and then click OK
Now you need to restart the server remotely in order to implement the change, this can be done through command prompt, run the following command:
shutdown -m \\ComputerName –r
You can now start your RDP sessions.