Tuesday, July 28, 2009

How to update Tanjay polycom (1.0.522.34)


Symptoms:


OCS 2007 R2 Enterprise edition deployed over windows 2008, everything is working fine. Updating polycom CX700 device that came with an old version (1.0.522.34) to R2 phone edition fail with no errors!


The IIS 7 log is giving the 200 success entry, which indicates everything is fine.

And the imageupdate log on the OCS server (under Logs\Server\Audit\imageUpdates) is not giving any errors, showing that the device is requesting the correct URL.


In our situation, the device should be updated in two phases. It should be updated first to the Interim version (1.0.522.103), then updated to the latest version which is (3.5.6907.31) at the time of writing this article.


Troubleshooting:


In order to make sure that your device is capable of accessing the new updates, you should be able to browse the internal URL for the updates: http://Pool_FQDN/DeviceUpdateFiles_Int/UCPhone/Polycom/CX700/A/ENU/3.5.6907.31/CPE/CPE.nbt

You should be prompted with a dialog to save the file. In my case I was getting a blank page! , there were no errors and the IIS log is showing the same 200 success entry!
That was really odd.

While I am trying to figure out this issue I came across the Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 R2 Phone Edition Release Notes which are very useful. I notice that I have some missed WMI settings, those where ExternalUpdatesDownloadURL and ExternalUpdatesStoreURL.

I edited those settings as the MS notes recommended (at the end of the notes), but that does not solve my problem.

I realized that my problem is much related to IIS, in other words, the IIS is not giving the correct information. So I start searching about IIS7 errors on the MS TechNet, I noticed that my IIS is missing some component, that was HTTP Errors (a role service under IIS role).I installed this service. Then I tried to access the internal URL, and I get the error 500.19…. This one has been solved clearly by this MS KB942055

After that I do manual restart my polycom cx700 device, and get updated successfully to the interim version then to the (3.5.6907.31) version.

Lack of Documentation:

Well the problem has been sorted out, but! I really wonder if I had missed to install this role service by mistake or because of any other reason.

Back to the MS documentation that has been released for the R2 edition, I had double checked the document OCS 2007 R2 Deploying Enterprise Edition; I foxed on Configuring IIS 7.0 on Windows Server 2008, the requirements there are not including the HTTP Errors feature. It's very obvious that OCS 2007 R2 installation well run smoothly without this feature, but at least adding a Note to the document recommending this feature for troubleshooting purposes will save a lot of time.


For me, I waste a lot of time troubleshooting this issue till sorted out, and I shouldn't if that feature was recommended by the document.

1 comment:

xpam said...

Thanks a lot for the info, was very helpful to me.

Best Regards,